EXETER COLLEGE, OXFORD: The Sequel! English Language Teachers’ Summer Seminar 2013.

A week later and I still seem to be under the ‘Oxford spell’… To be honest, I was a bit reluctant before enrolling on the English Language Teachers’ Seminar again because my first time there was utterly amazing! However, going back was really worth the while!

Feeling more mature professionally and having set new goals, I decided to avoid making any comparisons with the past and enjoy this new experience afresh! So, once again I found myself in atmospheric Oxford and the beautiful, old surroundings of Exeter College.

A wonderful group of 62 English Teachers from 27 different countries were my family for the next 15 days! All highly motivated and willing to share their teaching experiences and positive energy! As expected, the course was intensive and very informative with daily morning lectures and workshops that covered different areas in ELT and addressed individual teaching needs!

We were taught by the best team of teacher trainers who inspired, broadened our horizons and made us want to become better teachers and well- rounded human beings.

During these two weeks, we learnt so much that time for reflection is absolutely necessary! However, I’d like to single out some of the things I learnt from each teacher trainer and really cherish:

Adrian Underhill: ‘Every wall is a door.’

Charles Boyle: ‘It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.’- Quote used by Charles at our closing dinner.

Hanna Kryszewska– ‘How to become a teacher trainer’: ‘Never give up teaching even if you become an expert teacher trainer’.

Edmund Dudley– ‘Teaching Teenagers: Challenge Accepted.’: ‘When dealing with difficult students, make them feel valued, irrespective of their performance.’

Jon Hird– ‘Exploring Grammar’: ‘Allowing students thinking and planning time can result in greater accuracy on a grammar level.’

John Hughes-‘Writing Materials for ELT Publishers’: ‘Always test if your materials work with the public. Ask other colleagues to try them out and give you feedback about how they worked for them and their students.’

Ken Wilson: ‘All our students are different and differently talented. We need to find ways to access their way of learning.’

Russell Stannard: I loved one of the iPad/ iPhone apps Russell demonstrated in his lecture called Brainshark! Use Brainshark to make impressive presentations: upload your pdf/word files/videos or images, add your recordings (up to 15minutes) and share via e-mail or post to your blog and other social media.

For me, if you are an English teacher seeking inspiration and fresh ideas, Oxford is THE place to go because there you can combine high-level education with loads of fun and entertainment! For more information about this course, click here: http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/details.php?id=X162-2

Finally, for many people studying in Oxford is a dream! In my case, this dream has come true twice! So, I can’t help but feel blessed… I’d like to say a big, sincere thanks to our teacher trainers, Richard& Joe and all my dear new friends who made this another unforgettable experience! Hopefully our paths will cross again…It’s a small world after all :-)!

All the best,

Christina

8 Comments on EXETER COLLEGE, OXFORD: The Sequel! English Language Teachers’ Summer Seminar 2013.

1. Irina
    August 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm (4 years ago)

Dear Christina, having plunged in your impressions I found myself back in Oxford ! Thank you for the quotations in addition to your own wonderful phrases to be quoted!!!

Reply
    • Christina Martidou
      August 16, 2013 at 12:03 am (4 years ago)

Hi Irina!!! Soooooo nice to hear from you 🙂 🙂 Hope you’re all well back in Moscow! Really glad you enjoyed the post and it made you reminisce about our days in Oxford! I also have some beautiful pictures of ours and will soon e-mail them to you! Take care xxx

Reply
  2. MOROR, Yoshifumi
    August 21, 2013 at 4:06 am (4 years ago)

Hi Christina,

A few days ago, I visited your blog for the first time
    after coming back from England.

Thank your nice commentary and the movie.
    I love it. It reminds me of sweet time I spent in Oxford.

Though we are far away, keep in touch!

Best wishes,

Yoshi

Reply
    • Christina Martidou
      August 21, 2013 at 10:50 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Yoshi my friend 🙂 Thanks for leaving your comment here! I’m happy to have met you in person and even happier that you enjoyed the seminar too!

As for the distance keeping all of us apart here is a nice quote: ‘Friendship doesn’t count miles, it’s measured by the heart’:-)

Take care,

Christina

Reply
  3. Bibit Suhatmady
    August 21, 2013 at 8:56 am (4 years ago)

Hi Christina, You’ve done a very awesome job by creating this blog! It bring us to such a beautiful memory all of us have spent back there in Exeter College, Oxford.
    I hope someday, somewhere and somehow, there’ll be a change for all of us to meet again in this huge small world!!! we’ll keep in touch!

Reply
    • Christina Martidou
      August 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm (4 years ago)

Hey Bibit!!! Thank you for your lovely comment!It sure is a ‘huge small’ world 🙂 Hope we’ll meet in person again soon but until then I’ll be seeing you online 🙂 Take care and all the best!

Christina

Reply
  4. Angela Du
    August 21, 2013 at 11:46 am (4 years ago)

Hi Christina

your blog is soooo impressive,I like your summary of all the teachers!
    Having a chance to study in OX is awesome.And I like your video,as if I am in OXFORD again!

Reply
    • Christina Martidou
      August 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Angela!!! It was great to hear from you again! Hope you are all well! Indeed, Oxford is awesome and studying there- even if it’s only for two weeks- is a unique experience! We learnt so much but I just wanted to share some of the points I am keeping both in my life and my teaching practise! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment 🙂 Keep in touch and take care!
      Best wishes,
      Christina

Reply